Tuesday, November 11, 2008

The Beginning

"Where are they?"

"They were waiting for the connecting flight to New York in Johannesburg." "We will bring them home."

A bitter laugh. "The very words I said six years ago."

"And you kept them, didnt you?"

The voice catches. "I did nothing then. It was all you."

"Then I will do it again. You know that."

"I trust you."

"I always keep your trust."

Strangled laugh. "You get enough opportunities."

Low voice. "We couldnt know." "God, none of us thought..."

"We have known this. Always." A hard grip on the other's wrist. A voice hoarse. "I want them."

"It is obvious that we have lived a sham. We built the destiny that we are living today. Word for word. Act for act." A hand on broken-hearted shoulders. "Maybe what we created for ourselves is not the destiny meant for us. If so, we will write another, if we have to. And we will make it worthwhile."

"Will they...what if..."

"They will come. Even if we all do what we gave word against doing."

"I cannot think."

"Leave it to us. Leave this to me, to us."

The couch sags under the weight of the shattered heart. Red-rimmed eyes but still with enough pride to stay dry.

The one standing clips open a cell. One word into it: "Shark"

An inhaled breath on the other end of the line. "Eagle" and the line snaps.

A grim smile.

No comments: